Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

DVD Review: VAMPYRES (2015)


http://www.artsploitationfilms.com/film/vampyres/VAMPYRES
Directed by
Distributed by Artsploitation Films

  I am a big fan of the 1974 film VAMPYRES, so I was super excited when I saw this remake/re-imaging of the film was coming out this month on DVD.  I hadn't seen the original in years, but I remember loving the creepy, atmospheric imagery of the film.   While the remake doesn't quite match up in terms of the imagery, it's a pretty satisfying film, that makes up for it in an increased amount of blood and gore.   Here is a brief synopsis of the film, courtesy of the Artsploitation website:

In 1974, an English horror film titled VAMPYRES, written and directed by José Ramón Larraz Gil , premiered to an unsuspecting world. Soon, it became a cult horror sensation because of its sensuality, its gruesomeness and its twisted atmosphere. This new version keeps those graphic elements and the twisted atmosphere, but includes more action, more horror and more gore in telling the story of two vamps that “live” in a dark manor where they bring men with the promise of sex orgies that ultimately become blood orgies.

  As mentioned, this film is basically just re-vamped version of the original, but almost every aspect is increased here, especially the blood and gore.  The gore is amazing in this film and includes some of the best throat slashing effects I have seen in quite some time.   One scene in particular that was both gory and just downright creepy was an Elizabeth Bathory inspired scene of our two female vampires in a bathtub, bathing in the blood of a woman with a slashed throat stringed up above.  This was a gruesome scene and was a highlight of the film for me.

  One thing that will probably be noticed by most is the acting.  I have to admit it's pretty bad overall, but lets be honest, we're not watching a film about lesbian vampires for the quality of acting.   We're watching for the nudity and gore, and we get ample amounts of both.  If Jess Franco were alive today, I feel like this is a movie he would have made.  That should tell you what to expect from this one.
 
  VAMPYRES is a fun watch for sure, and I highly recommend it to all fans of the vampire genre.  The DVD is available this coming Tuesday, October 18th and contains the following special features:

*  Interview with Caroline Munroe
*  The Making of Vampyres Featurette
*  Artsploitation Film Trailer


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD


http://www.artsploitationfilms.com/









No comments:

Post a Comment