Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, March 19, 2015

DVD Review: THE DEMON'S ROOK


http://www.demonsrook.com/THE DEMON'S ROOK
Directed by 
Distributed by Cinedigm and Tribeca Film

  I am a huge fan of practical effects, especially when it comes to blood and gore.  Unfortunately, we don't see as much of that these days with the ease and affordability the CG effects allow.  THE DEMON'S ROOK is good news for those of us who love our practical effects.    Here is the basic plot of the film from the film's imdb.com page:

  A young boy named Roscoe finds a portal to another world where he is taught magic by an elder demon known as Dimwos. Dimwos raises the boy into manhood, revealing to him many secrets.

  I was a huge fan of THE DEMON'S ROOK.   This movie really took me back to the 1980's splatter films.  It reminded me of a film I would have watched after riding my bike down to the local movie store and picked out a horror movie I knew nothing about, but loved the cover.   I found some great gory horror films this way, and THE DEMON'S ROOK is a great ode to those films. 
  Most movies this day rely on heavy computer effects, which to me is not the way a horror film should be made.  Director James Sizemore wrote and starred in this film, and he obviously knows how a horror movie should be made. 
  Most of the acting in this film is great, with a  few exceptions as you will find with most low budget horror films.  The film is shot very well with crisp colors and some nice angles.  The real star of this show, though, is the effects.  Along with this is the makeup and costumes.  The make up and costume people did an amazing jog on this film and should be extremely proud of the end result.

  THE DEMON'S ROOK is available now on DVD and contains the following special features:

*  "GOAT WITCH" - a short film by James Sizemore
*  Making of a Demon
*  Filmmaker Commentary
*  Deleted Scenes
*  Gag Reel

  I must add that the short film, GOAT WITCH, which is found in the bonus features is a must see.  This is a very creepy film shot with little dialog, relying heavily on costumes, effects, and make up.  Just like in THE DEMON'S ROOK, the make up and effects were done extremely well.  

  I highly recommend THE DEMON'S ROOK to all you horror fans.  They don't make films like this one much anymore, so when they do, definitely give it a watch and support it.  I look forward to future films from Mr. Sizemore!

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to visit the film's official website
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD


http://www.cinedigm.com/







No comments:

Post a Comment