Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Blu-ray Review: DRACULA UNTOLD (2014)


http://www.draculauntold.com/DRACULA UNTOLD
Directed by 
Distributed by  Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

  I used to think I wasn't a big fan of vampire films, but I have seen quite a few lately that I have really enjoyed.  The latest is last year's hit film, DRACULA UNTOLD, which turned out to be even better than I expected it to be.   Here is the film's plot synopsis courtesy of the film's official website:

  Witness the origin story of one of legend's most captivating figures in the action-adventure, Dracula Untold. The year is 1462 and Transylvania has enjoyed a prolonged period of peace under the just and fair rule of the battle-weary Vlad III (Luke Evans, Fast & Furious 6, The Hobbit series), the prince of Wallachia. But when Sultan Mehmed II (Dominic Cooper, Captain America: The First Avenger) demands 1,000 of Wallachia's boys – including Vlad's own son – become child soldiers in his army, Vlad must enter into a Faustian bargain to save his family and his people. He gains the strength of 100 men, the speed of a falling star, and the power to crush his enemies. In exchange, he's inflicted with an insatiable thirst for human blood that could force him into a life of darkness and destroy all that he holds dear.

  This film was a very interesting take on the Dracula story.  I honestly have never been a big fan of vampire films  (I'm more of a zombie type guy), so I know very little about the Dracula story.  I don't think I had ever heard much of a background story about Dracula, so it was interesting to see how and why he became a vampire.  He is shown as a hero in this film, the good guy, which is something I have never associated Dracula with.

  The film was a very well done.  The acting was superb from everyone involved and the cinematography was amazing.  The scenery and some of the shots were tremendous, and while most all of it was CG, it still looked great.  While the film is a vampire movie first and foremost, it was also war/battle movie similar to the likes of a film like 300.   The battle scenes were spectacular and it was nice to see the good mix of horror and action.    

  DRACULA UNTOLD is a film I would highly recommend.  The films was great and is actually pretty family friendly overall.  If you have older kids, they could probably watch this film as there was not any real gore and no explicit sex scenes.   Now don't get me wrong, I love my horror with lots of gore and nudity, but it is nice every now and then to find a fun film in the horror genre that the whole family can enjoy together.

  DRACULA UNTOLD is available now on DVD and Blu-ray and contains the following special features:

  • Luke Evans: Creating a Legend  (Blu-ray exclusive)
  • Alternate Opening with Optional Commentary by Director Gary Shore and Production Designer François Audouy  (Blu-ray exclusive)
  • Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Director Gary Shore and Production Designer François Audouy  (Blu-ray exclusive)
  • Day in the Life - Luke Evans
  • Dracula Retold
  • Slaying 1000
  • The Land of Dracula  (Blu-ray exclusive)
  • Feature Commentary with Director Gary Shore and Production Designer François Audouy


  • CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
    CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
    CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack


    http://www.universalstudiosentertainment.com/


    3 comments:

    1. Man I hated this one, it just didnt feel like a horror movie. Too "soft" for me. Not horrific, monstrous or even remotely scary.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I can totally see that Francisco. As I mentioned in my review, it was a very family friendly film with no real blood/gore/sex like you would normally expect from a Vampire movie. I still enjoyed it as more of an action film based on horror elements, but you are correct in that if you are looking for a true horror/scary film, this is not that film.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I watched this movie because of Ngila "Lord of the Rings" Dickson's costumes, and to see the battle scenes. Hey, don't blame me...

      ReplyDelete