Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Book Review: HIDDEN HORROR: A CELEBRATION OF 101 UNDERRATED AND OVERLOOKED FRIGHT FLICKS


http://www.kitleyskrypt.com/hiddenhorror.htmHIDDEN HORROR:  A CELEBRATION OF 101 UNDERRATED AND OVERLOOKED FRIGHT FLICKS
Edited by Aaron Christensen
Published by Kitley's Krypt

  I'll be honest, I don't read much these days.  I just don't seem to find the time with a full time job and a family, to sit down and read most books.    Also, I am a bit of a slow reader, and I have an awful memory, so if I am reading a book and I go a few days without reading, I tend to forget what was going on and have to go back and re-read chapters.   I tell you this to explain why I love books like HIDDEN HORROR from Dr. AC!   I love books about movies and reference books like this are perfect for me.  If you don't have time to sit and watch a movie, it is a lot of fun to be able to take a few minutes and read about it! And each essay is about a different movie, and only 2-3 pages long on average, so you can read just a few minutes if that is all you have time for.

 Now, a lot of reference books are like this, but you tend to start reading about the same mainstream or cult status films when you read a horror movie reference book.  What this book does differently is focus on those films that normally wouldn't get much, if any, write up in any movie reference book. That is one of many things that sets this book apart from others like it.  Another is that each essay was written by a different author, so if you don't like the style one of the essays is written in, well the next one will be completely different since it will be by a brand new author!  I had a good time reading all the different authors and was excited to see that I knew a couple of them from my blogger circle of friends!  I know B.J. Colangelo from the "Day of the Woman" Blog who wrote an essay on the film, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE  (a movie I don't think is overlooked, but definitely underrated) and John Squires from the "Freddy In Space" Facebook page/blog who did a great article on the film, PSYCHO II.

  One of the things that was so much fun about this book was finding some horror films that I had never heard of before, and reading about those I might have heard of but had never seen.  There were only a handful of films I had never heard of, but there were quite a few I have to admit I have never seen.  In fact, I went through and counted which ones I had seen and I had only seen 32 of the 101 films reviewed in this book!!  And I consider myself a horror fan!!  Shame on me, I obviously have some work to do!  

  This is one of the best movie reference books out there right now in my opinion.  Any and all horror fans need a copy of HIDDEN HORROR on their bookshelf for sure.   This is very nicely put together book.  The book is 313 pages and includes tons of pictures from the films being reviewed.  The price tag is awesome too, costing just $15!  That is bargain for such a great book that is full of great movie info!

CLICK HERE to purchase the book
CLICK HERE to visit the book's official Facebook page


http://www.kitleyskrypt.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment