Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

DVD Review: THE ASYLUM TAPES (2012)


THE ASYLUM TAPES
Written & Directed by
Distributed by Revolver Group

I had never heard of THE ASYLUM TAPES  (original title, GREYSTONE PARK) until I found myself with a DVD for review.  The cover looked intriguing, but I was not sure what to think, as these "found footage" type films seem to have saturated the horror market right now.  That being said, I am huge fan of these type films, but even I have grown a little tired of them.  I'm glad I didn't just write this one off and I gave it a chance, because this was  very entertaining film that keeps my hope up in the found footage sub-genre of horror films.  Here is the basic plot of the film from the Revolver website:

When a group of young filmmakers decide to visit an abandoned psychiatric hospital to investigate the terrifying rumours that surround an institution that was infamous for its inhumane treatment of its patients, they have no idea of the horror they will uncover.
Ward after ward was used for a variety of invasive surgical procedures, some necessary, some less so. As their exploration takes them deeper into the bowels of the building, they find themselves trapped by supernatural forces that have no intention of letting them escape.
As the night unfolds, they soon find that there is a fate worse than death. This is their footage. Everything is real.


  THE ASYLUM TAPES is a very well made film, especially considering this is director Sean Stone's feature debut.  The acting in this film is very well done, with believable characters that keep you interested and entertained.   

  I love the subject of the film, an old abandoned mental hospital.  The place these kids visit is creepy enough with all the old medical devices they find (some of which look more like torture devices), but the fact that this old hospital is now haunted makes it even creepier!    We don't really see much throughout the film, mainly we hear noises and see some shadows.  It is not a gory film by any means, not your typical blood and guts horror film. This film is very atmospheric and keeps you in suspense not knowing what these kids will see or find around the next corner.   All the little things they see and hear can not prepare them for what they find at the end. 

  Also, I have to mention the very final scene which is a very well done effect involving  a person's shadow.  Check this out for sure!  Good job to Sean Stone and his cast and crew.  If this feature debut is any indication of the caliber of films Sean will make, then hopefully we are in for some great future projects from him.

THE ASYLUM TAPES was released this past Tuesday in Canada and can be purchased from the Revolver website by clicking the link below.

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD


1 comment: