Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Blu-ray Review: RE-ANIMATOR (1985)


 
RE-ANIMATOR
Directed by Stuart Gordon
Distributed by  Image Entertainment

  RE-ANIMATOR is one of my all time favorite horror films.  It is perfect in every way and you will never here me say one bad thing about this film.   It is in my top 5 horror films for sure....maybe even cracking the top 3.  I love this film.  I didn't think I could love it any more, but now Image Entertainment has released it onto Blu-ray format, which gives me another reason to love this film.   For those not familiar with the film, here is the plot synopsis from the image entertainment press release:

  Adapted by Dennis Paoli, William J. Norris and Stuart Gordon from the H.P. Lovecraft short story, Re-Animator tells the strange tale of medical student Dan Cain (Bruce Abbot) and his girlfriend Megan Halsey (Barbara Crampton), both of them drawn to odd new student Herbert West (Jeffrey Combs) who’s conducting secret experiments involving the re-animation of dead tissue. When one of the instructors, Dr. Carl Hill (David Gale), stumbles upon their activities, West murders him -- but is brought back to life, now thirsting for revenge as well as lusting after Megan. The final denouement features the re-animated Dr. Hill squaring off against Herbert and Dan in a battle royale within the school’s morgue, complete with resurrected “henchmen” and undoubtedly one of the greatest visual double entendres in all horror cinema!

  As I stated before, I love this movie.   It has everything you'd expect from a mid-80's horror film.  Tons of great gore, some dark humor, some cheesy (but good) dialog and acting, etc.  Jeffrey Combs plays the creepy, weird new scientist Herbert West and is absolutely perfect in the role.  I can't picture anyone else pulling this performance off as well as Combs does.  The film also features the beautiful Barbara Crampton in my favorite of all her roles. She has some truly memorable scenes, especially the "head" scene which anyone who has seen the film will immediately know what I am referring too! 

 Most true horror fans probably already have a DVD copy of this film, but this is definitely one that is worth upgrading to Blu-ray.  The picture and sound quality are superb in this new HD version of the film.

RE-ANIMATOR is available now on DVD and Blu-ray and contains the following special features:

*  Documentary:  "Re-Animator Resurrectus"  [Blu-ray Exclusive]
*  Audio Commentary by Director Stuart Gordon
*  Audio Commentary by Producer Brian Yuzna and Actors
*  Interview with Director Stuart Gordon and Producer Brian Yuzna
*  Interview with Writer Dennis Paoli
*  Interview with Composer Richard Band
*  Music Discussion with Composer Richard Band
*  Interview with Fangoria Magazine Editor Tony Timpone
*  Deleted and Extended Scenes
*  Theatrical Trailer
*  TV Spots


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray

No comments:

Post a Comment