Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DVD Review: COUNTESS PERVERSE (1974)



COUNTESS PERVERSE
Directed by Jess Franco
Distributed by Mondo Mocabro / TLA CULT/Danger After Dark

Well, I am back from LASEK surgery, and while my eyes are not healing as well as expected, they are good enough now for me to at least type up a review.  The last movie I watched before going under the laser, was the 1974 Jess Franco film, COUNTESS PERVERSE, or "La comtesse perverse" as it is known in it's original French language.  Here is the basic plot synopsis from the TLA Cult website:

A pair of decadent aristocrats turn their private island into a human hunting ground where they stalk their naked prey. The captured meat is then cooked and fed to their unsuspecting guests who themselves will become the next victims of this cruel game.

If you are not familiar with Director Jess Franco, then this would be a great film to get introduced to him.  I think he is a great director, but he is one of those that people really have mixed feelings about.  Is he really that good, or is he so bad that it is good?!  Who knows, but what I do know is that if a movie has Franco's name attached to it, I am probably going to like it!  COUNTESS PERVERSE is no different, as I found myself thoroughly enjoying this one.  

An early predecessor to films such as BATTLE ROYALE and even THE HUNGER GAMES, COUNTESS PERVERSE focuses on a woman who loves to hunt.  But what she loves to hunt is other women....and of course it helps if they are naked.  In fact, the Countess hunts in the nude as well.  Why?  Well, because it is a  Jess Franco film and he loads his films with tons of nudity...mainly just for the heck of it.  Why have a beautiful woman hunting another women fully clothed when you could have  her hunting a naked woman while being naked herself?  Well, you really can't deny Mr. Franco's logic there, can ya?  Makes sense to me!  HA!

This is a very fun film in Mr. Franco's Euro-sleaze collection.   The DVD is available now and contains the following special features:

*  Introduction: Intro by critic Stephen Thrower
*  Exclusive profile of director Jess Franco
*  Interview(s): Interview with actor Robert Woods
*  Mondo Macabro previews


CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD


No comments:

Post a Comment