Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Movie review: THE THING (2011)

  
  
I got a chance to check out  THE THING prequel the other night, and I am so glad that I did.  You all need to check this one out asap, especially if you are a fan of John Carpenter's 1982 film.
Here is the basic plot of THE THING prequel from imdb.com:
  
At an Antarctica research site, the discovery of an alien craft leads to a confrontation between graduate student Kate Lloyd and scientist Dr. Sander Halvorson. While Dr. Halvorson keeps to his research, Kate partners with Sam Carter, a helicopter pilot, to pursue the alien life form.
  
The movie is a prequel to Carpenter's film of the same name, and sets up his version perfectly.  The film does an excellent job of re-creating the sets and overall feel of Carpenter's film.   The acting in this film is great, the music is good, and of course, the gore is good.  The main difference with this film is that almost all of the effects are CGI, rather than practical effects.   Overall the effects look pretty good but there were one or two shots that looked very fake and were a little distracting to me, but overall they were good.  Some were very gruesome in fact, including a monster made of two people that were kinda "morphed" together....very disturbing!! 

Go out and support horror in the theater!  Check this one out, I think you will really enjoy it!


CLICK HERE to watch the regular trailer
CLICK HERE to watch the Red Band trailer

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see some positive write ups for this film. I wasn't blown away by it, but thought it served as a great companion piece to Carpenter's film. I had fun with it and will definitely purchase it when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely a great companion piece to Carpenter's version. I was actually rather surprised with how much I liked this film...probably a lot had to do with the fact that my expectations were not great for the film, so I wasn't expecting too much. It turned out to be much better than I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete