Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Blu-ray Review: THE VIOLENT KIND (2010)

THE VIOLENT KIND
Written and Directed by Mitchell Altieri and Phil Flores
Distributed by Image Entertainment

  THE VIOLENT KIND is not what you would expect...at least, it was nothing like what I expected.   From the looks of the DVD cover and then after watching the trailer, I expected more of an action/crime film than a true horror film.   But with elements that reminded me of THE EVIL DEAD films, and THE EXORCIST, this is most definitely a true horror movie.
Here is the basic plot synopsis from the Image Entertainment website:

Brace yourself for an unrelenting new horror classic that’s scary, rough, and willing to break all the rules! Your life will never be the same when you meet THE VIOLENT KIND, a ruthless pack of unstoppable psychopaths terrorizing the wilds of Northern California. Now they have their eyes on young Cody, the member of a notorious biker gang whose ex-girlfriend, Michelle (scream queen Tiffany Shepis), turns up hysterical, drenched in blood… and carrying a dark, terrifying secret. Unrelenting and wildly unpredictable, this acclaimed shocker from the Butcher Brothers, directors of the horror hit The Hamiltons, shocked audiences at Sundance and takes you on a wild ride you’ll never forget!
 

  As I stated above, this movie was nothing like what I expected.  I didn't expect it to be much of a horror movie at all, but it most certainly is.   Although, it is hard to say what sub-genre of a horror film this movie would fit into.    In fact, it is really hard to describe this film at all!  I'll be honest...I don't totally understand the film.....I'm still not sure exactly what happened to Tiffany Shepis' character or what is inside her now....but maybe we are not supposed to?  Who knows?  What I do know is that none of that matters when it comes to entertainment value of this film.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, even if it does leave me a bit confused and wanting to know a little more about what happened to these folks.  I assume this could have been done intentionally in order to set up a sequel, and if so, that is fine by me.  I will be first in line to part 2!

  While the film looks like it would be a typical biker/hostage type film, it is so much more than that.  I can't say to much, as I really don't want to give to much away, but you will witness a girl who is apparently "possessed" by....well...something, as well as some supernatural elements and even...aliens?  I will let you be the judge of that.  I could be way off here, but like I said, this film kinda leaves some things up in the air for you to decide for yourself.

  The acting is superb in this film....not a bad actor in the bunch.  Joe Egender plays the leader of the "bad guys" and gives a remarkable performance.  You know he is bad, but you just can't help to like him!  The make up and effects are excellent as well.   While there is a little CG, most all of the blood and gore is made up of practical effects, and there is quite a bit of blood and gore on display here.  

  One last thing I want to mention about this film is the music.  I normally don't notice music too much in a film, but when I do, I know it must be good.  There is one scene in particular where there is a very disturbing thing happening on camera, but the music that starts playing is a very upbeat, light song.   The contrast of uplifting song paired with a gruesome scene of violence hasn't been used so well since the ear scene from RESERVOIR DOGS.  Kudos to the filmmakers on that awesome feat!

  Overall, this is one of the better films I have seen this year.  It blew my expectations away.  Check this one out for sure!


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray


CLICK HERE to visit the official website of Image Entertainment

1 comment:

  1. I'm certainly going to have to check this one out. You mentioned upbeat and happy kind of music during a disturbing scene. Reminds me of the musical contrast in Cannibal Holocaust. The music would be all cheery while the group is raping and burning the entire village. It just seemed so odd and out of place. But that was part of its exploitative charm. In this genre out of place artifacts, whether its audio or visual is always creepy. Like hearing a child laugh somewhere in the dark woods at night. Thats not what you'd expect to hear in that situation. So it comes off as creepy.

    ReplyDelete