Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

DVD Review: FRIGHT FLICK (2011)

FRIGHT FLICK
Directed by: Israel Luna
Distributed by: Breaking Glass Pictures/Vicious Circle Films

Finally! A good gore film....no, a great gore film! I love gore films, but most of today's Horror films don't really use that much gore anymore. I'm not sure why, but the few movies that do have some gore have very few scenes and they are usually cut short. This makes two movies in a row (see previous review) that have had great gore as their centerpiece. Before I go any further, here is the basic plot from the Breaking Glass Pictures website:

Director Israel Luna (Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives) shows audiences just how cut-throat show business can be in this bloody outrageous horror-comedy that satirizes the filmmaking industry. When the air-headed leading lady of a B-grade fright flick turns up brutally murdered during the film shoot, the motley members of the cast and crew find themselves at the heart of a real-life whodunit -- and with so many competing egos on set, everyone's a suspect.

This is a clever movie, and can be a little hard to follow at times. The premise follows a team of filmmakers as they make a slasher movie. The film they are making contains all the stereotypical aspects of a bad Horror film, including a gratuitous shower scene, horrible B-movie style acting, and generally bad filmmaking. This lends some comic relief to the film, as it is fun to see people filming a movie when they have know idea what they are doing. In one scene, they are shooting through a cars windshield while filming the actor that is driving, but you can plainly see the close up reflection of the boom mic in the windshield. Funny stuff!

As I mentioned before, the film can be hard to follow at some times, as part of the plot revolves around a stolen script, or actually two stolen scripts I think. Then I loose track of who knows what and who doesnt' know this or that....but anyway, the real star of the film here is the gore. This film has some of the better gore scenes I have seen in a long time. They are all very well done and look very realistic. Two scenes that really stick out in my mind are the hedge clippers to the eyeballs scene and a throat slit scene so realistic that I still don't understand how it was done. Kudos to the makeup and FX artists on this one fore sure!

The DVD contains special features including:

Blooper Reel
Severed Scenes (deleted scenes)
"The Guts of Fright Flick": A behind the scenes documentary


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
CLICK HERE to visit the film's official website


CLICK HERE to visit the official website of Breaking Glass Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment