Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

DVD Review: I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (2010)

H
I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE
2010 Remake
Directed by: Steven R. Monroe
Distributed by: Anchor Bay Films


I hope all you horror fans that read the 4H blog have seen Meir Zarchi's 1978 original, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, also known as DAY OF THE WOMAN. If you have not seen this, do yourself a favor and watch this film as soon as you can. I am a huge fan of the original film, so I was super excited when I heard they were remaking the film. I guess I am one of the few Horror fanatics that actually likes remakes....they don't take anything away from the original, as the original is still here and not changed in anyway. All the remake does is show a different adventure of the characters we like and know and brings a new audience to the story that might not have ever taken the time or effort to seek out the original. But, enough of that. That is a topic I could go on with forever. Anyway, I was really excited about this remake and was not able to catch it on it's limited theatrical run, so I am super excited that the DVD is finally here. Here is the description of the film from the Anchor Bay website:

UNFORGIVING. UNCOMPROMISING. UNMERCIFUL. UNRATED. The original version was reviled, condemned, and banned around the world for its on-screen depictions of depravity and violence. Now experience the acclaimed remake that dares to go even further: Jennifer Hills (a fearless performance by Sarah Butler) is a big-city novelist who rents an isolated country cabin to write her new book. But when she is brutally raped by a group of sadistic rednecks, Jennifer has plans for more than mere revenge. One-by-one she will find them. She will inflict horrific acts of agonizing torment upon them. And no jury in America would ever convict her. Jeff Branson (“ALL MY CHILDREN”), Daniel Franzese (BULLY), Rodney Eastman (A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3 & 4), Chad Lindberg (THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS) and Tracey Walter (THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS) co-star in this graphic, shocking and undeniably disturbing new take on one of the most controversial films of all time.

Again, I am a huge fan of Meir Zarchi's original film, so I was super excited when I started up the DVD and saw that Meir Zarchi is one of the Executive Producers of this new remake! That could only be a good thing, as Mr. Zarchi would make sure that everything was done right and in the spirit of his original film.

I will tell you that overall I really liked this film. It is hard to watch at times, as the rape scene is very graphic and disturbing. Not just that, but it seems to go on and on....it is very hard to watch, but important to the film as it sets up the reason why our heroine will turn the tables and inflict her revenge on her intruders. You really feel for the character of Jennifer Hills and become a witness of her innocence being stripped away from her. The things this group of guys does to her are humiliating and they leave her on the brink of death. You can't help but smile when you see Jennifer come back stronger than ever to get her revenge on these guys!

The acting in this movie is superb. In fact, at times it actually seemed real, which is hard for a movie to pull off. Sarah Butler does a tremendous job as the character of Jennifer Hills and is very believable as both a victim and as the one dealing out the punishment. Speaking of that, the things she does to these guys is absurdly violent. The gore effects in this film were amazing, including the eyelid scene which you will just have to see for yourself.

The only negative I had with this film was the ending, which just sort of ended rather abruptly. I was really caught off guard when the screen went black and the credits started to roll. That is a very minor and picky issue, though, so don't let that turn you off from the film. Overall, this film was very good, very well made, and should be a must see for Horror fans, especially those of us who know and love the original film. While I still prefer the original overall, I am quite pleased with how they handled this remake and it will be a welcome addition to my DVD collection.

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE will be released to DVD and Blu-ray next Tuesday, February 8th.

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to pre-order the DVD or Blu-ray
CLICK HERE to visit the film's official website


No comments:

Post a Comment