Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

DVD Review: PIRANHA (1978)

I hate to admit this to you, but I had never seen the original PIRANHA before. And now after seeing the PIRANHA 3D remake footage, I got really excited about flesh eating fish and decided the time was right to finally sit down and watch it.
My only regret is that I waited this long!!

PIRANHA was produced by Roger Corman and directed by Joe Dante, so you have some awesome genre vets at the helm of this film. PIRANHA is one of those films that everybody knows about, but is very surprising when it comes to how many people have actually seen it. If you haven't seen this film, please, do yourself a favor and watch it soon! A new special edition DVD just came out today, so there is no excuse for not watching this now!

Here is the basic plot of the film from imdb.com:
When flesh-eating piranhas are accidental released into a summer resort's rivers, the guests become their next meal.

Ha, short synopsis, but really, it says it all! This isn't a movie that makes you think, it just tries to entertain you for 94 minutes, and in that it succeeds greatly!

One thing I was really surprised about was the amount of blood and gore in this film. For a film that came out in the late 70's, it was much more graphic than one would expect based on other films released in that same era.

A great thing about this film is there were no real slow parts....it was entertaining all the way through. If you are a fan of JAWS, then you will love PIRANHA. In fact...dare I say it....I might have enjoyed this film even more than JAWS! Is that possible? Have I gone insane? Have you seen PIRANHA...what do you think?

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, Piranha is one of my very fav's from the 70s. I remember being fascinated and i wasn't particularly a blood and gore type, but the concept just horrified and intrigued me. You tend to jump into a lake or river thinking it's totally safe--no sharks, no predators, right? I think it actually worked better in the naive, before-cell-phones and videogames 70s when kids basically had to hit the waterfront in the summer and get a nice dark dark dark tan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my FAVORITE horror movies of all time. I first saw it when I was a teen, but then didn't watch it again until just a couple of years ago. I had forgotten how much I loved it. And, to Autumnforest's point, I STILL can't go into the lake without thinking about what might be in the water beneath me. That's almost a worse phobia than a fear of sharks! I mean, at least sharks DO exist...to my knowledge, genetically enhanced piranha are somewhat rare...

    ReplyDelete