Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Guest DVD Review: THE RUINS review by Caleb Schoeppe

Welcome to the first ever Guest Review on Hayes Hudson's House of Horror! Our first guest reviewer is Caleb Schoeppe from the metal group Vessels of Wrath and the owner of Element Photography. Caleb recently watched the film THE RUINS and was kind enough to share his thoughts about the movie with us:

To start I would like to out line the plot to THE RUINS. A group of friends whose leisurely Mexican holiday takes a turn for the worse when they, along with a fellow tourist embark on a remote archaeological dig in the jungle, where something evil lives among the ruins.
I decided to give this one a good solid watching and give it a shot. Sounded like a great concept. Went and found it on On Demand, selected it, and rented it....that is about when things went down hill. Let me strike that last comment, everything went down hill about 30-45 minutes into this film. It started strong and was shaping up to be a fine horror film when these college kids are in the jungle and end up forced to stay in the ruins of a ancient Aztec/Mayan pyramid by the locals. It seems the locals fear anyone who steps on these ruins as they are cursed and may cause harm to the tribe! Now bring on the EVIL!! As darkness falls and bad things start to happen. It is at this point we are introduced to our evil killer which is...wait for it....are you ready?.... A PLANT!!! A vine that grows on the temple and eats meat!!! ARE YOU F$#KING KIDDING ME? Where are the evil Indian zombies? Where are the dreadful spirits that harvest souls for the gods? Where is anything remotely scary? The scariest part of the film are the locals who would shoot you in the head if you attempted to leave the pyramid. That part was cool. I would like someone to please inform me who lets these films get produced. If I were in charge and was approached with this script I think I may have called all my friends to make sure I was not part of some elaborate joke or something. I am tired or talking about this pile of poop. So to sum up, don't watch this movie. I can tell you that you will waste time that could have been spent on a better movie or with family. Thank you.

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer for THE RUINS

Editors note: The reviews and opinions expressed by our guest reviewers are not associated with or necessarily shared with those of Hayes Hudson's House of Horror. If you would like to be a guest reviewer on the 4H blog, feel free to contact me at hch91@hotmail.com. Guest reviewers are not compensated for their reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I felt the same way about this one. I saw in the theater in St. Louis with my late wife right after her lung transplant. We were excited because it was the first movie we got to see after her surgery (the only thing that even looked worth spending money on) and were completely disappointed.

    I have heard that the book which this is based on was pretty good, so maybe I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete